On Monday, December 19th, 15 6th and 7th graders from the Waukee Middle School Y-Choir came over to the Waukee Family YMCA to sing Christmas Carols to members and program participants throughout the facility.
These students are involved in the Y-Choir Teen Club which is taught by Shelly Schaeufele and Michelle Anthoney-Thompson at the Waukee Middle School once a week for one hour after school. The students not only build vocal skills and prepare for performances, but also learn the importance of positive values and supporting community. This program is FREE for all students who wish to participate. They will be working on a performance from the musical WICKED starting in January! Contact Joel Goetsch for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Santa program was part of the Waukee YMCA AOA calendar of events. A Christmas Cookie Exchange was held along side the event. The group also takes field trips, exercise classes, holds potlucks, and has monthly fi reside chats. For more information on these programs and events contact Josie McClure at Josie.email@example.com or 868-0505.
When Can I register for swim lessons?
- Registration for Winter Swim Lessons Session for Waukee Family YMCA members begins December 7th at 5am.
- Registration for Non-members opens two weeks prior to the start of class. If you are currently not a member, but are interested in becoming one, please contact the service center to get information on membership and discounted program pricing.
How do I register for swim lessons?
- Registrations can be taken at the service center or online at www.dmymca.org . You will need your Membership ID (not your keyfob #) and credit card ready for online registration.
- Be prepared with your registration information, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for class, and payment method when registration begins.
How do I know which class to register for?
- Know your child’s class level. Lessons are based on skill level. If the desired class is full, it is strongly suggested you DO NOT register your swimmer any level higher than their actual swimming skill level.
- Swimmers often need to repeat each level at least once before progressing. If you are registering for more than one session register your swimmer in the same level for repeating sessions.
- For class descriptions and questions to help you pick the appropriate level visit with the service center or check out www.dmymca.org. If you’re still unsure which level is appropriate, contact the branch’s Aquatic Director to help you.
- Classes meet once a week for a 5 week session. The day and time you register for will be the same every week for all 5 weeks. Find the session(s) that your swimmer can attend all classes. The YMCA will not offer make-up lessons for missed classes.
What if the class I want to register for is full?
- If your desired class(es) are full, you can two of the following options:
- Check other YMCA branches for class openings. Refer to the swim lesson flyer for class listings and times at their locations.
- Place your swimmer on a waitlist. If spots open up, those on the waitlist are called in order of waitlist placement.
Will I get a confirmation once I have registered?
- Be sure to keep a copy of your receipt for your records when registration is completed. The receipt will hold the important information you need for class including start date and time.
Please join us in celebrating the season with our YMCA family. We have many special events planned for the entire month. The events are all free and open to all members. Please come share in the Holiday Spirit.
- Dec. 5-11 Santa Letter Writing Station
Family Center during open hours. Write a letter to Santa and we’ll mail it off for you.
- Dec. 6 and 21 Reindeer Craft
Family Center during open hours. Make a holiday keepsake with your hands and footprint.
- Dec. 8 Story Time around the Fire
Lobby Fireplace 10:30AM—11:00AM. Listen to holiday favorites told around the fire.
- Dec. 12 Light Holiday Recipe Exchange
Lobby 10:00AM and 6:00PM. Learn ways to lighten your favorite recipes.
- Dec. 13 Visit with Santa
Lobby Fireplace 10:00AM—12:00PM. Don’t forget to bring your camera!
- Dec. 14 Cookie Exchange
Coffee Kitchen 10:00AM. Bring in your treats and take home new goodies.
- Dec. 14 St. Nicholas Presentation
Lobby Fireplace 10:00AM. The origin of St. Nicholas by Roger Schlaefer.
- Dec. 19-23 Hot Chocolate and Apple Cider
Coffee Kitchen 8:00AM—3:00PM